The Grand Canyon

grand canyon (18 of 22)

After a rather tame night in Vegas, we set off for the Grand Canyon to camp and hike around a bit. Getting in pretty late in the afternoon prevented us from spending a whole lot of time doing super outdoorsy things, but we gathered up the camera gear and snapped some photos before we spent the night in a tent in the pouring rain (0/10 recommend that particular adventure).

grand canyon (10 of 22)

Our Grand Canyon adventure consisted of very little adventuring (besides the elk sightings! – see below). We meandered around the paved rim trail and got to witness a pretty, pastel sunset! The sun setting over the canyon was magical. I was absolutely in love with the orange rocks contrasted with the distant purple canyon.

grand canyon camping

We were lucky enough to get a reservation for a camping spot in the park, which was great because it meant that we were really close and that the outdoors, even with our late arrival, were super accessible. I loved setting up and taking down our little tent, setting up the camp chairs, and cooking dinner together. I didn’t even mind the lack of running water  😉

grand canyon (4 of 22)
grand canyon (3 of 22)
grand canyon (2 of 22)
grand canyon (1 of 22)
I read a tour guide while we were driving into the area that said, “There’s something unforgettable about the first time you see the canyon. It’s hard to describe it in any other way but grand” – and I totally agree! The sheer depth and length of the canyon was staggering, and made me feel teeny tiny in the best way.

grand canyon (20 of 22)

grand canyon (5 of 22)

grand canyon (9 of 22)

grand canyon (21 of 22)

grand canyon (19 of 22)

grand canyon (13 of 22)

grand canyon (22 of 22)

grand canyon (8 of 22)

The Grand Canyon was such a cool experience and I’m so grateful that I got to see the area! Check out more of my travel posts!

love,
sarah julia

Share the love

10 Comments

1. Michelle Fitch
    July 8, 2016 / 9:56 am

Beautifully written and gorgeous photos! Great post girl. You’re giving me major wanderlust!! Xo

• Sarah
      July 10, 2016 / 7:51 pm

Thank you, sweet girl!! (I always have wanderlust if it’s any consolation!)

2. August 10, 2016 / 9:51 pm

wow… That’s amazing. Sounds like a great experience and such beautiful pictures to match! It’s on my list… one day I’ll get there, lol.

• Sarah
      August 11, 2016 / 12:23 am

It’s seriously amazing! I was just stunned with how large it is! Truly breathtaking. Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment… or two 😉 it means the world to me!

xoxo,
      Sarah Julia

3. August 24, 2016 / 4:47 pm

I’m bookmarking this to use when my kids and I study Arizona in our homeschool US Geography study this year 🙂 Wonderful photos!!

• Sarah
      August 24, 2016 / 7:22 pm

Hi, Sara! Thank you so much. It’d be awesome to do a quick geology review too! Along the rim, there’s a trail that shows rocks from different periods. So cool! Thanks for stopping by!

xo,
      Sarah Julia

4. August 24, 2016 / 6:58 pm

What?! I’m pretty sure at least 0.5/10 would enjoy sleeping in a tent in the pouring rain! The pics are beautiful! Just turned the laptop over toward my husband and said, “Promise me we will go.”

• Sarah
      August 24, 2016 / 7:22 pm

Thanks so much, Desiree! It was kind of the worst… Can’t put a damper on the spirit of the great outdoors though! You have to – I can’t recommend the Southwest enough! Thanks for stopping by!

xo,
      Sarah Julia

5. August 25, 2016 / 1:31 am

I’m so excited to see the Grand Canyon for the first time in October. We are going to take a day trip so no camping for us but I bet that is quite an experience!

• Sarah
      August 25, 2016 / 6:54 pm

Hey, Paige! Honestly even as a day trip it’s awesome! There’s plenty of walking (not too steep) to do and things to learn even without camping.

What do you plan on seeing? Thanks for stopping by!

xx,